CAN 25th anniversary – Daytime Strategic Roundtable Discussions: Detailed Agenda
Daytime Strategic Roundtable Discussions: Detailed Agenda
1:00 – 1:30 pm Registration and networking
1:30 – 2:00 pm Opening panel
Various stakeholders reflecting on their experience with civil society, especially CAN
Mohamed Adow, Chair of the Board, CAN
- Christiana Figueres, Executive Secretary, UNFCCC
- Nadereve M. Saño, Climate Change Commissioner of the Philippines, and former civil society actor
- Dessima Williams, Director, Grenada Education and Development Programme (GRENED), and former Ambassador to the United Nations from Grenada
- Bill Hare, CEO, Climate Analytics, a CAN founding member
- Celine Charveriat, Advocacy and Campaigns Director, Oxfam International
2:00 – 2:30 pm Presentation in plenary: CAN’s new directions
Mid-term review of CAN’s 2013-2015 strategy: what has been achieved so far, what could be achieved later.
A short paper on the new directions will be circulated to participants in advance.
2:30 – 3:30 pm Roundtable discussions
Three roundtables, each to discuss one of the three key directions of CAN:
- International politics and policy coordination of civil society efforts towards achieving an ambitious and equitable agreement on climate change
- Global campaign coordination to start the shift towards a future free of fossil fuel emissions, and a just transition to 100% renewable energy
- Movement building
For each of the roundtables, two speakers will present their views in order to instigate discussions, followed by input of participants.
Video Statement in plenary: Kumi Naidoo, Executive Director, Greenpeace International
3:45 – 4:00 pm Presentation in plenary: State of the Movement
Presentation of the State of the Movement draft paper, which will be developed further after the Anniversary based on received input.
The draft paper will be circulated to participants in advance.
4:00 – 5:00 pm Roundtable discussions on State of the Movement
Three roundtables to discuss different aspects of the draft paper, and how to take it forward.
Video Statement in plenary: Connie Hedegaard, European Commissioner for Climate Action
5:00 – 5:30 pm Closing session
Wrap-up of the day, presentation of key ideas and next steps.
Information on how to reach the Reception at Old Town Hall, starting at 6:00 pm.