Call for Proposals - Governance Trainer for the CAN-International board
Deadline: Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 31 August 2020 23:59 Central European Time (CET).
CAN International seeks to appoint a Governance Trainer for the CAN-International board. Click here for full details.
Ongoing Program: Open to Applications
The Climate Action Network Internship Program is an opportunity to gain experience working on an international level with a multinational community of NGOs and to contribute to solving the problems of climate change.
CAN interns will have the opportunity to work on vital projects and participate in the program remotely using their own computers and internet connection.
Applicants to the CAN internship program may opt for two unique tracks, one working exclusively within the Secretariat, the other at a National or Regional level within a CAN Node.
The Secretariat track provides interns with the opportunity to work within an NGO on an international level and provides exposure to various departments and external actors. Assignments within this track may be project-based and are typically dependent upon the strategic direction of the Network.
The Node track is aimed at providing interns with both a glimpse into the overall operations of an international NGO and gaining further understanding of climate change work at a national or regional level with the CAN National and Regional Nodes. Interns will begin their internship with the Secretariat and move on to complete the bulk of their assignment with a National or Regional Node. Participating nodes will be matched with applicants based on the needs of the node and the skills and interest of the intern. There may be the possibility to work within the office of a node in certain circumstances.
Who can apply?
While at times, CAN may have specific needs, we generally encourage anyone who is strongly interested in contributing to the efforts to fight climate change to apply.
What are the requirements?
- Strong interest in climate change issues;
- Ability to effectively communicate in written and spoken English;
- University degree in progress, preferably in a related field;
- Experience working with NGOs;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to work independently in a remote office environment;
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of: Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Dropbox CMS, Social Media, and Skype;
- Personal computer and reliable internet access.
How long will the internship last?
The length of the placement is dependent upon tasks and projects, and may last anywhere from a few months to a year, in either a full or part-time capacity. Unless specified in the announcement, CAN will take into account the availability of the applicant, together with the current need of the Secretariat.
Are the Internships paid?
Typically, our Internships are unpaid. CAN will, however, cover specific work related costs, such as travel to CAN events, if required.
What will I get out of the program?
CAN is the biggest climate network in the world and working within the CAN Secretariat has many benefits including:
- Gaining experience in working on an international level with globally diverse colleagues;
- Building skills and knowledge in the areas of climate change (science/policy/advocacy/etc), UNFCCC processes, and other climate fora;
- Making new acquaintances and new connections with NGOs and colleagues from around the world;
- Experience working in a supportive and collaborative remote environment.
CAN will evaluate the work of interns in the middle and at the end of the program. Based on the results shown, CAN may issue a recommendation letter to the intern upon conclusion of the placement.
How can I apply?
If you are interested in participating in a CAN Internship, please apply online with your CV and covering letter, details about your experience, why are you interested in participating, and what area you are interested in working in. Candidates will be contacted with further details regarding current availability.