CAN Intervention for COP Work Program Workshop
-Delivered by Josefina Brana-Varela
Thank you chairs. I’m speaking on behalf of the Climate Action Network.
We welcome the opportunity to be present in this workshop and we would like to share our views on how to approach the issue of result-based finance for REDD+.
While we understand that there are many discussions that are taking place in other bodies and groups under the UNFCCC with respect to the issue of finance, we believe that Parties here can start shaping a results-based mechanism for REDD+. Therefore, Parties can start focusing in:
1. Talking about the modalities and procedures for financing results-based actions for REDD+, despite the sources of funding
2. Parties should focus in establishing a mechanism that enables support for REDD+ countries that have met successfully the requirements established in the Cancun Agreements, including safeguards.
3. The design elements of such a mechanism should ensure environmental integrity, through the establishment of registries and reserves to avoid double counting and addressing risks of reversals.
4. Parties should discuss the relationship between reference levels and the access to payments.
5. Discussions here and towards Warsaw should promote equity by ensuring adequate incentives for countries with less capacity as well as countries with significant carbon stocks but lower deforestation rates, while ensuring the integrity of the climate system.
6. Finally, Parties should aim for transparency and efficiency, avoiding creating mechanisms with high transactions costs.
Chairs, are you planning to ask for submissions on these matters in preparation to the second workshop that the Work Program under the COP is considering? If so, we as observers will be happy to share our ideas.