The Wilderness Society is an Australian, community-based, not-for-profit, non-governmental environmental advocacy organisation. Our purpose is to protect, promote and restore wilderness and natural processes across Australia for the survival and ongoing evolution of life on Earth. We work to safeguard our sources of clean water and air, to tackle devastating climate change, to create a safe future for life on Earth, and to give a better world to our children.
The following are The Wilderness Society's seven strategic goals.
- To protect wilderness and nature across Australia by creating protected areas and strong, nationally consistent laws and institutions.
- To keep as great a volume of fossil fuels (coal, oil and gas) in the ground as possible, limiting Australia’s contribution to catastrophic climate change.
- To enliven and sustain a diverse and engaged social movement in support of our purpose and vision by building relationships and empowering our supporters.
- To inspire the Australian community with compelling, consistent and credible communications in support of our purpose and vision.
- To raise funds to support our purpose and vision and maintain stable long-term relationships with members and other financial givers.
- To maintain a healthy organisational culture.
- To implement governance and structural changes and facilitate clear direction from our board, supported across the Wilderness Society organisations