Background of the Organization
SEVANATHA was established in the year of 1989 as a local NGO in Colombo Sri Lanka. It was founded by a group of grassroots human settlement activists, lead by Mr. K. A. Jayaratne, Urban Planner, to assist urban poor communicates to improve their shelter and livelihoods. Since 1989 SEVANATHA has been engaged in its operational activities in Colombo and a number of other major cities in Sri Lanka. Considering the sustainability of ongoing projects of SEVANATHA, it has created two Private limited Companies known as 01). Community Livelihood Action Facility Network in order to manage the community housing support program and 02). Micro Enrich Compost (Pvt.) Ltd. in order to manage the Urban Solid Waste Management projects handle by SEVANATHA.
Vision of the SEVANATHA
‘‘To be a dynamic change agent for transforming the lives of urban and rural poor to be self reliant and empowered members in the Sri Lankan society’’
Mission of the SEVANATHA
While improving its’ own skills and capacity, SEVANATHA is committed to revitalize and enhance the capacities and creativity of urban and rural poor in Sri Lanka.
- Continuous improvement of the skills and capacities of the staff of SEVANATHA in order to achieve the vision of the organization.
- Institutional Capacity Improvement of SEVANATHA Organization.
- Community empowerment through information sharing, training and networking among community groups and organizations.
- Capacity building of the urban stakeholders through training and awareness raising on participatory development models.
- Improve partnership between and among urban local authorities, urban poor communities and other stakeholders.
- Influence urban policy changes through demonstration projects and best practices.
- Strengthen the resource bases of poor communities through improved opportunities