The Moreland Energy Foundation Ltd, or MEFL, is an independent not-for-profit organisation. It was established to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions across the municipality of Moreland, in the inner-northern suburbs of Melbourne.
MEFL acts as a connection between the Moreland community and the broader climate change action movement. MEFL is the first and only such organisation of its kind in Australia.
Our vision is that Moreland will be: 'An active, inspired community tackling climate change with sustainable energy solutions.'
On a day-to-day basis we work with households, businesses and the wider community to:
- Reduce wasteful energy use
- Save money on power bills
- Promote practical sustainable ideas that make homes and buildings more comfortable to live and work in
- Encourage the use of greenhouse friendly and energy efficient domestic, commercial and industrial appliances
- Help people understand that the energy they use makes greenhouses gas that causes climate change
- Develop local low carbon alternatives to avoid coal based electricity generation
- Provide leadership in an urgent transition to a sustainable energy future.
This work is done through:
- Advice, training, consultancy services and advocacy
- Cheap and easy energy-saving tips, resource guides and info kits
- Home Renovators Service
- Detailed energy-efficiency audits and recommendations
- Partnership with like-minded bodies to increase our reach into the community and increase resources available for our work
- Facilitating research into new energy efficient technologies that will assist in reducing emissions
- Consultation with government to discuss options to make it easier for people to reduce energy use.