The Institute has been conducting project-based research across Australia and internationally since 1997 when the Premier Bob Carr officially launched the Institute in the atrium of the Australian Technology Park in Redfern.
When we moved from the ATP to our current premises at 235 Jones Street in 2005 we conducted a sustainable office fit-out to maximise amenity and minimise the environmental impact of our office.
The Institute continues to be involved with this Initiative as a member of the UTS Sustainability Steering Committee and several of the six working groups.
Over the years Institute researchers have worked with the Facilities Management Unit and other UTS researchers with sustainability expertise to improve the sustainability of the University. In March 2008 the UTS Environmental Sustainability Initiative was launched – for details see http://www.green.uts.edu.au/
Our mission is to create change towards sustainable futures.
Our organisational objectives are:
- To be a world leading sustainability research institute
- To support communities, government and business to create their own change towards sustainable futures
- To deliver a cutting edge transdisciplinary postgraduate research program in sustainable futures
- To progress public dialogue as well as motivate and facilitate action
- To be an exemplar of participation within the UTS community
- To value and enrich our supportive and sustainable workplace