Friends of the Earth (FoE) is a federation of autonomous local groups who are working towards an environmentally sustainable and socially equitable future. FoE Australia functions both through the activities of its local groups, and on the national level through appointed spokespeople, campaigns and projects, the national magazine - Chain Reaction, and the work of the national liaison officers.
Friends of the Earth Australia is a federation of local activists campaigning across the nation through local active member groups. Many of the national campaigns are hosted by our local groups. Friends of the Earth Australia currently has groups in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Kuranda, South West WA and Adelaide. Each group operates independently but also according to the Friends of the Earth Australia vision and values.
Our vision is of a world where everyone’s needs are met in a way which safeguards the future of the environment. We campaign for a world where environmental protection, social justice and economic welfare for all people, go hand in hand. Through our local, national and international networks, we work with the community to communicate, raise awareness, put forward alternatives and take action.
The alternative we seek to implement is a sustainable society. This involves a reliance on the use of renewable resources which are equitably distributed. It involves the recognition that there is an inextricable link between people and the environment. FoE recognises that organised resistance and action are necessary catalysts for environmental, economic and social change. Such action is essential if we are to achieve a sustainable society based on the equitable distribution of resources and power and recognition of the rights of all people. Friends of the Earth Australia seeks to develop strong relations with environmental and social justice movements in all parts of the world and is committed to a set of objectives which guide our activities.
FoE Australia Objectives
The objectives of FoE Australia shall be:
- To conserve, restore and protect the ecosphere.
- To create a movement of change that recognises ecological sustainablility and social justice are indivisible.
- To preserve the natural environment in Australia;
- To promote public awareness of environmental issues in Australia, through promoting public awareness, direct action activities and the production of educational and community materials
- To assist other people and organisations interested in these objectives to carry out their tasks through the maintenance of resource centres, newsletters, magazines and communication with like-minded national and international bodies