Our vision and values
Eradicating poverty is not a distant dream, but one we can realistically achieve. ActionAid believes that poverty continues to exist as a result of choices made over time about how societies should be organised and that by working together, we can choose differently - individually and collectively - if we wish.
A world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity.
To work with poor and excluded people to eradicate poverty and injustice.
- poor and excluded people and communities will exercise power to secure their rights
- women and girls will gain power to secure their rights
- citizens and civil society across the world will fight for rights and justice
- states and their institutions will be accountable and democratic and will promote, protect and fulfil human rights for all.
ActionAid lives by the following values:
mutual respect, requiring us to recognise the innate worth of all people and the value of diversity
- equity and justice, requiring us to work to ensure equal opportunity to everyone, irrespective of race, age, gender, sexual orientation, HIV status, colour, class, ethnicity, disability, location and religion
- honest and transparency, being accountable at all levels for the effectiveness of our actions and open in our judgements and communications with others
- solidarity with the poor, powerless and excluded will be the only bias in our commitment to the fight against poverty
- courage of conviction, requiring us to be creative and radical, bold and innovative – without fear of failure – in pursuit of making the greatest possible impact on the causes of poverty
- independence from any religious or party-political affiliation
- humility in our presentation and behaviour, recognising that we are part of a wider alliance against poverty.