The Climate Action Network (CAN) is a worldwide network of over 1300 Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in more than 120 countries, working to promote government and individual action to limit human-induced climate change to ecologically sustainable levels.
CAN members work to achieve this goal through information exchange and the coordinated development of NGO strategy on international, regional, and national climate issues. CAN has regional network hubs that coordinate these efforts around the world.
The Operations Coordinator will work with the Operations Department to help support the CAN Network by assisting with membership management, CAN email lists, event logistics, and general organizational development.
While this is a remote position, someone located preferably within UTC -1/UTC +3 time zones is preferred. This is a full-time contract position that starts immediately and goes until 31 December 2019 (with strong possibility of extension based on funding and performance).
Events Planning and Support:
- Leads and coordinates operational planning of events and supports the team and network in successfully implementing convenings, including logistics, participant management, assisting with financial management of the event, etc.
- Facilitates and provides support to the team regarding their logistical needs, which includes, but is not limited to: locating accommodation, arranging catering, securing venues, and making arrangements with other service providers and contractors;
- Acts as the lead on UNFCCC sessions (e.g. COPs) operations and logistics including assisting with coordination of network activities, strategy sessions, providing support to Fossil of the Day awards, newsletter/ECO printing and distribution, etc.;
- Facilitates various accreditation processes for team and membership;
Membership and Node information maintenance:
- Works with the Network Development and Outreach Department to ensure membership and Node information is up-to-date; conducts audits of online membership profiles, and processes membership requests;
- Maintains the internal membership list and updates membership information with the UNFCCC;
Database maintenance and information coordination:
- Leads on listserv maintenance across 20 subscription lists with over 3,000 total subscribers, processes all incoming requests, and subscription account modifications;
- Conducts audits of the listservs and ensures member information is accurate and up-to-date;
- Gathers information for various reports (e.g. Annual Report) on a regular basis and assists in developing drafts in coordination with the team;
- Assists with Human Resources & Development tasks, including ensuring efficient and positive organization culture, working tools, and team communication;
- Support the team and assist the Support Services Director in a range of other administrative tasks;
- Other duties as assigned.
- University degree in relevant field;
- At least 2 years of experience working or volunteering in a relevant field, preferably in event management, logistics, or administrative functions;
- Familiarity using online tools;
- Successful event planning experience;
- Passionate about developing organizational best practices;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Very strong organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to work independently in a remote office environment;
- Ability to meet deadlines and work in high pressure environments;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to effectively communicate in written and spoken English; advanced level of German a strong asset;
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of: Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Drupal CMS, Social Media and Skype;
- Interest in climate issues preferred, but not required;
- Personal computer and reliable internet access.
- Strong identification with CAN’s values including but not limited to transparency, honesty, inclusiveness, empathy, solidarity and respect.
Send a motivation letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject Operations Coordinator.
Applications will be accepted, and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis until a suitable applicant is found. We anticipate a large number of applications and thus encourage interested parties to apply as soon as possible.
Applications that do not contain both a cover letter and resume will not be considered.
Please, no telephone inquiries. Based on the expected large interest in this position and limited capacity, only candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
CAN is an equal opportunity employer.