Job Description / Terms of Reference
Position Title: Head of Operations
Reports to: Executive Director
Capacity: 100% of time worked
The Climate Action Network (CAN) is a worldwide network of over 1300 Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in more than 120 countries, working to promote government and individual action to limit human-induced climate change to ecologically sustainable levels.
CAN members work to achieve this goal through information exchange and the coordinated development of NGO strategy on international, regional, and national climate issues. CAN has regional network hubs that coordinate these efforts around the world.
The Head of Operations oversees Human Resources and Development (HR&D), Finance and Administration at CAN, and manages up to 3 positions within the Operations department. As a member of the Senior Management Team, the role also includes responsibility for the strategic direction of the organization and plays a central role in its operations.
- Serve as a HR liaison for all employees, contractors, consultants, and interns; act as lead for all onboarding/exiting of new/current team members;
- Ensure existing HR & Development (HR&D) policies and procedures are implemented and adhered to, and make recommendations on improvements;
- Maintain CAN staff list, organizational chart, and website people page; develop/maintain HR&D management system; provide regular reports on HR&D to leadership;
- Maintain and update HR manual and related Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Ensure that HR&D policies comply with established and statutory regulations in relevant jurisdictions;
- Together with relevant senior management, develop and review job descriptions and KPIs;
- Implement a results-based performance management system; guide and participate in performance reviews;
- Oversee and ensure robust implementation of recruitment and retention policies;
- Ensure fair and equitable implementation of staffing policy, and compensation and benefits;
- Manage employee relations issues including any complaints and disciplinary procedures;
- Support and work to strengthen personnel development and other team development measures;
- Strengthen measures to further equity and diversity in the CAN Secretariat, as well as team wellbeing and safety;
- Develop recommendations to strengthen organizational culture, which may involve working tools, team communication, balanced work environment, efficient workflows, etc.
- Oversee and strengthen knowledge-management in the organization, including databases;
- Update CAN registry in Bonn, Germany, to reflect changes in Board composition, statutes, membership, etc.;
- Liaise with CAN legal representation as needed;
- Oversee and adapt processes for efficient membership management and ensure implementation in coordination with other team members;
- Determine operational needs for the organization so that all departments can fulfill administrative requirements;
- Coordinate the writing and publication of proposals and reports, in conjunction with other departments;
- Oversee administrative tasks in coordination with Executive Director’s Office as appropriate.
- Oversee all financial management and accounting of the organization, including tasks assigned to the Finance Manager, ensuring alignment with internal policies and procedures and best financial management practices;
- Provide guidance or lead, as adequate, on financial planning, cashflow and ensure appropriate repartition in the acquisition and management of grants/funds;
- Sign-off on financial reporting for donors and CAN Board; contribute to narrative reporting and ensure robust implementation and compliance with grant requirements;
- Maintain responsibility for financial auditing in coordination with accountant and Finance Manager;
- Provide input into funding proposals and develop project budgets as required.
Databases, website, IT
- In coordination with other teams:
- oversee CAN listserv membership, development, and maintenance;
- oversee/edit the operational portions of the CAN website, including Membership Directory, Member’s Area, Annual Report, People, and Job and Internship postings.
- Develop and maintain databases and tools needed for the effective running of the organization (CRM, Form Tools, etc.)
- Ensure all IT, software and hardware used by CAN International is maintained and used according to proper processes and security levels.
Event-management / Logistics for UNFCCC Meetings and other CAN activities
- Oversee, guide the Operations Coordinator and support tasks in regard to events for CAN Secretariat team and CAN members.
- Supervise work and workplan development for all department team members;
- Actively participate in CAN strategy discussions and development as part of Senior Management Team;
- Actively contribute to reporting, knowledge-management and monitoring, evaluation and learning efforts of CAN;
- Other duties as assigned.
The job holder must possess the following requirements with or without a reasonable accommodation:
Education and professional qualifications:
- Advanced degree in a relevant filed, such as Business administration, non-profit management, etc.
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) certification, Chartered Institute of Personnel Development (CIPD) qualification or equivalent preferred
- Certification in Accounting an asset
Job-related experience & knowledge:
- Minimum 7 years of progressively more senior experience in administrative function
- Minimum 5 years in a position supervising others
- Demonstrated track-record of successfully managing Human Resources and Finances of an organization to impeccable standards
- Experience in a nonprofit organization with diverse donor base and international operations
- Strong knowledge of ethics and compliance standards for non-profits.
- Excellent organizational, project and time management skills, proven ability to meet deadlines
- Very well organized, high level of accuracy, and meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize, adjust workload, juggle multiple assignments
- Problem-solver mentality
- Able to synthesize information from multiple sources
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to work effectively in different socio-cultural contexts, good listener, facilitator and consensus-builder
- Talented in the art of developing and managing high performing teams
- Ability to work independently and proactively
- Ability to take initiative
- Strong identification with CAN’s values including but not limited to transparency, honesty, inclusiveness, empathy, solidarity and respect.
IT Skills and requirements:
- Computer skills: advanced competence in MS Office & complex databases; Content-Management Systems, HR Management Systems, etc.
- Knowledge of DATEV (or other accounting programme) preferred
- Programming skills an asset
- Ability to coordinate and administer meetings and communications using digital communication tools, such as Zoom and Skype.
- Fluency in spoken and written English required
- Ability to travel internationally up to 15% of the time.
Send a motivation letter and CV to email@example.com, with subject Head of Operations.
Applications will be accepted, and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis until a suitable applicant is found. We anticipate a large number of applications and thus encourage interested parties to apply as soon as possible.
Applications that do not contain both a cover letter and resume will not be considered.
Please, no telephone inquiries. Based on the expected large interest in this position and limited capacity, only candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
CAN is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to make positions accessible to all regardless of race, nationality, ethnicity, age, disability, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion, marital or parental status, etc.