The Climate Action Network (CAN) is a worldwide network of over 1100 Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in more than 120 countries, working to promote government and individual action to limit human-induced climate change to ecologically sustainable levels.
CAN members work to achieve this goal through information exchange and the coordinated development of NGO strategy on international, regional, and national climate issues. CAN has regional network hubs that coordinate these efforts around the world.
The Finance Manager will work with the Director, the Operations Manager, and the Senior Management Team to ensure routine financial management tasks are carried out in an accurate and timely manner by following internal financial management procedures, that accounting is up-to-date, and all grant reporting and audits are completed and accurate.
- Develops memos for payments;
- Keeps financial records, including receipts, invoices, etc.;
- Manages audit preparations in coordination with Director;
- Maintains expenses tracking in coordination with Director;
- Maintains electronic and physical financial filing systems;
- Diligently checks invoices to be paid and supporting documentation to be aligned with internal policies and procedures, best financial management practices, and department budgets;
- Manages the implementation of department budgets;
- Manages grant and/or contract financial reporting in coordination with CAN staff lead;
- Liaises with the CAN lawyers in Germany on tax-exempt status and annual reporting to German government;
- Prepares quarterly board statements and financial statements for General Assembly;
- Serves as a liaison with CAN’s German bank and manages the CAN bank accounts;
- Updates CAN’s bank account with current Board members;
- Recommends revisions of financial management system as a result of research and best practices;
- Develops and maintains Finance Manaual as a resource for CAN staff and donors;
- Provides excellent service to department leads, other staff and interns, as well as other vendors.
- Experience working in Germany managing finances for tax-exempt non-profit associations;
- University degree, preferably in financial management related field;
- Minimum five years of related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Proficient in QuickBooks software;
- Proven experience in successful organizational online banking;
- Experience managing finances in multi-currency system;
- Extremely detail-oriented;
- Highly experienced in Excel, electronic filing, and electronic systems development;
- Experience implementing and managing budgets;
- Experience coordinating financial and narrative reporting to donors on contracts and grants;
- Understanding of best international accounting practices;
- Ability to effectively communicate in written and spoken English and German;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to work independently and in a remote office environment;
- Comfortable communicating over email, Skype and using other online organizing tools;
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure;
- Strong interpersonal skills, very loyal and trustworthy;
- Reliable internet access.
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject: “Finance Manager” by 5 August, 2016. Position will be open until filled.
Applications are requested as soon as possible, and interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
Based on the expected large interest in this position and limited capacity, only candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted. CAN is an equal opportunity employer.