CLIMATE ACTION NETWORK (CAN) JOB POST
Position: Communications Officer: Digital and Social Media
Reports to: Head of Communications
Location: Remote, Flexible
Capacity: Full-time or Part time, Contract
Term: Until 30 June 2020, with strong possibility of extension based on funding and performance
Start Date: Immediate or as soon as possible
The Climate Action Network (CAN) is a worldwide network of over 1300 Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in more than 120 countries, working to promote government and individual action to limit human-induced climate change to ecologically sustainable levels. CAN members work to achieve this goal through information exchange and the coordinated development of NGO strategy on international, regional, and national climate issues. CAN has regional network hubs that coordinate these efforts around the world.
Communications Officer: Digital and Social Media
The Secretariat Communications Team of Climate Action Network has an exciting opportunity for a smart, organised and creative individual that can breathe new life into our digital and social media channels. You will have an eye for fresh and relevant content, a good understanding of channel diversity and experience of devising and executing successful digital strategies that make audiences sit up, take notice and move to action.
In this position you will broaden reach and influence of our voice, deepen engagement with our audiences and use social media to support the fight against climate change. With your strong collaborative approach and strategic ideas about how best to engage target audiences to drive action, you will have the motivation and enthusiasm to help us achieve a step-change in our approach to digital activity. It’s a busy role and you’ll need to be organised and able to switch between projects, managing your workload effectively to meet deadlines and deliver high-quality work that will influence how CAN is perceived externally. You will need the ability to think laterally, make logical decisions and be prepared to work in a fast-paced environment. Self-motivation, experience and the ability to work well with others will make you the ideal candidate.
If this sounds like you, we would be interested to hear from you.
CAN’s Digital and Social Media Communications Officer is responsible for devising and executing our digital communication strategy. To start, the position will focus on two closely related pillars of work: (i) the CAN website; and (ii) our social media channels, including Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, YouTube (all existing) and Instagram (new). These may grow over time.
Drawing on your knowledge and experience of social media management and in close collaboration with the CAN Secretariat Communications Team, you will develop and execute digital strategies, as well as come up with ideas to promote engagement and provide audiences with a constant stream of content. You will manage the planning, implementation and day-to-day management of all digital channels.
- Support the development, execution and evaluation of an integrated digital strategy that includes best-practice recommendations for improvement of the official CAN website and our existing and potential new social media channels.
- Manage the website and social media channels, both directly, and by directing and coordinating contributions to all and ensure that these are in line with CAN positions and messaging.
- Coordinate with the CAN Communications team members and other departments to produce and publish time-sensitive content in a prioritized manner.
- Remain up-to-date with developments in social media content, management, algorithms, and analytics, continually updating our approach and actively contributing content ideas to the CAN Communications Team based on your knowledge.
- Growing CAN’s social channels’ follower numbers and engagement levels.
- Review our social channels, rationalise channels where justified and launching new channels when these are a good fit for our strategy and audiences.
- Spot a conversation starter from across the organisation, and leverage social networks to enhance the CAN network’s work and profile.
- From time-to-time devise and deliver social media training.
- Build good relationships with internal teams, working closely with the CAN Secretariat Communications Team and subject experts to develop and manage a schedule of activity alongside existing planned content, search engine optimisation and email activity and run periodic analysis reports.
- From time to time, take on additional tasks if and when required to do so to support the delivery of the Communications workplan.
- Work well as part of a close-knit team, with energy, drive and a positive attitude.
Key Outputs And Deliverables
- An active suite of digital channels, with strong community management and demonstrable growth in engagement and followers.
- Responsibility for maintaining an editorial and production planner, ensuring a regular schedule of social media and news content to engage audiences.
- Development of social media content guidelines, supported by workshops/webinars and training as required.
- Analysis reports on the effectiveness of social media and digital content activities.
- As part of a flexible team from time-to-time work in other parts of the communications team will be required to meet business demands. This will require a degree of adaptability.
- Conducting research tasks such as social media audits, audience research and influencer research. Develop insights and provide recommendations based on research results (including use of analytics tools).
- Writing creative, compelling and engaging editorial content such as articles, features, and press releases.
- Liaising directly with colleagues and workstreams where required to coordinate digital campaign activity.
- Attend meetings where required.
- Create, develop and edit compelling, high-quality content with a focus on graphics, text and animation.
- Cover live events and conduct interviews for posting on digital channels.
- Some out-of-hours working as result of CAN’s work environment.
Our Ideal Candidate
- University degree or equivalent work experience
- Social media savvy
- Demonstrable experience of successfully developing, designing and managing web and social media strategies, including WordPress and Drupal; Twitter; Facebook; LinkedIn; Instagram; YouTube and with a command of each network and their best practices.
- First-hand experience using social media dashboards and analytics tools
- Knowledge of best practice when engaging with online audiences
- A proven track record in developing creative and innovative campaign or content ideas, including through the use of videos, infographics and other visuals
- Knowledge of search engine optimisation
- Excellent communicator and creative thinker, with an ability to use both data and intuition to inform decisions
- Proficiency in using social media software to monitor social media conversations
- Strong editing and writing skills
- Strong verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate at all levels
- Highly motivated, be able to use own initiative and work independently without direct supervision
- Enthusiasm and a willingness to learnThe ability to multitask
- Social media and campaign management experience with experience creating viral social campaigns
- Skills on Adobe Creative Suite, Hootsuite, Facebook Ads, Google Analytics, or other similar programmes
- Skills on videography, photo editing and graphic design
- Education or certification in climate change, environment or sustainability
- Any other of the official UN languages (Spanish, French, Russian, Chinese, Arabic)
How To Apply
To apply, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae/resume of no more than 2-3 pages; and
- A supporting statement that clearly sets out why you feel you are a good fit for the position.
Please provide these as one document in MS Word or PDF format before 22 July 2019.
Please note that recruitment for this position will continue until a suitable candidate has been identified.